IF YOU’VE ALMOST COMPLETED YOUR DREAM KITCHEN, BEDROOM OR BATHROOM, IT COULD BE ABOUT TIME TO START LOOKING FOR THE PERFECT LIGHTING TO COMPLEMENT YOUR DESIGN SCHEME.
It’s no secret that we’re interior design geeks at His & Hers and can often be found checking out the latest interiors trends and products. So we know that lighting is often left ’til last on the list when revamping your home. However, finding the right lighting can make or break your scheme, taking a room from lacklustre and gloomy to warm and welcoming in minutes.
If you’re ready to bite the bullet and invest in some new lighting this spring, here are our top tips for finding the right products.
His & Hers Magazine’s Lighting Tips:
- Get Googling. We spotted these striking pendant lights online for significantly less than similar overhead lights would cost on the high-street. Also, if you’re in need of some inspiration, you’ll find so many options online.
- Set a budget and (try to) stick to it. Yes, we know that as soon as you start window shopping, gorgeous designer pieces tend to catch your eye. But if you decide how much you’d be happy to spend on new lighting from the outset, you’re much more likely to be happy with your purchase in the long run.
- For fun statement pieces, such as neon signs and fairy lights, you may want to follow trends and perhaps opt for cheaper options. However, for harder to replace lighting which you’re likely to want to stick with for a while (such as pendant lighting) it’s worth taking your time to pick out pieces that you think will date well and which you’ll still love in years to come.
- Don’t forget about low-level lighting. Even investing in some simple, chic bedside lamps can make reading a book at bedtime so much more enjoyable than doing so under the glare of a ceiling light.
- Speaking of which, if you’re creating your lighting scheme from scratch, His & Hers would highly recommend dimmers, so you have enough light in the mornings to check that your socks match, but not so much light in the evenings that your home has an office-like vibe!
We’re proud to bring you this feature in association with www.lightsupplier.co.uk a thriving local business with customers including John Lewis (where we’re sure they’re very picky about their lighting!)
For related features, please pay a visit to our interiors page.
Image courtesy of: Monsoon via PRshots.